Tuesday, April 1, 2014

...in being still.

I last posted three months ago about choosing the phrase "be still" for 2014, and boy has God been teaching me how to do that. I think that was a perfect phrase to focus on in this season of my life and has been very stretching, refining, and grounding for me. In January, I feel like I was forced to physically be still. We had ridiculously cold weather which made even going outside painful and the whole family had the flu over the course of 3 weeks. January was a time to literally stop and be. As frustrating and boring as that was at times, it was also a good time of rest which apparently we all needed. February was a time of being still mentally. The weather continued to give us cabin fever, so this mama had to get really creative with our time stuck inside. February was a challenge in so many ways and I feel like God really used that month to quiet my mind and my heart, to see a bit more clearly. March has been a sweet time of being still spiritually. I think studying the book of Matthew this year in BSF has made me think a LOT about faith and trust in Jesus. The study has encouraged me to participate a little more actively in the season of Lent this year which has been super challenging but very fruitful. For lent I chose to fast from a couple different things but also to write in a prayer journal daily. Having that focused time in tangible prayer has had an amazing impact on my days. I've seen it totally change my attitude or focus throughout the day. I've felt the enemy press in and try to steal that peace and joy from my concentrated time of fellowship with God. I've seen answer to prayer and a felt my heart begin to change. I've come face to face with my own selfishness, self-reliance, and self-seeking approach to my relationship with God. I've gained a deeper respect and appreciation for the unreal sacrifice of Christ. I've developed a deeper desire to know Him, trust Him, and love Him better. March was a time of being still in the presence of God....and it has been so good, yet so hard. I read this quote about Lent that really resonated...
"Lent is preparing the heart for Easter. Like going with Jesus into the wilderness for forty days, that we might come face to ugly face with our enemy. Our sacrificing that we might become like Christ in His sacrifice."    Ann Voskamp
That is what this Lent has been for me....coming face to ugly face with our enemy...and sometimes coming face to ugly face with the ugly side of myself.

Thank you God for the reminder to be still. Thank you for the many ways you are teaching me to do that. I pray you will continue to teach me to be still, in all things.


This song has had a huge impact on me the last few weeks. It has sort of stopped me in my tracks, so to speak, and helped me to be still before God as I learn to trust Him more, to have more faith in Him, to love Him better.




No comments:

Post a Comment